Moving to Sweden (Skatteverket)

Add to My Boden Remove from My Boden

If you move to Sweden from abroad and plan to live here for one year or more, you will usually be required to be listed in the Swedish Population Register. This means you will be registered as resident in Sweden. The Swedish Tax Agency will record details such as your name, address, date of birth and civil status. Once you are registered as resident in Sweden, we will give you a Swedish personal identity number. The Swedish Tax Agency decides whether or not you meet the registration requirements.

1. Skatteverket webinar about moving to Sweden to study or work

Learn more about what to consider when moving to Sweden. The webinars are free of charge and you will have the opportunity to ask questions in their live chat: Sign up

2. Registered as resident in Sweden

In order to be registered as resident in Sweden, you must have both the intention and the right to stay here for at least one year. You are entitled to stay in Sweden if you:

  • are a citizen of a Nordic* country
  • have right of residence as an EEA citizen, a British citizen, or a family member of someone with right of residence
  • have a residence permit from the Swedish Migration Agency (“Migrationsverket”)

* Denmark (including the Faroe Islands and Greenland), Finland (including the Åland Islands), Iceland, Norway and Sweden.

When you have moved to Sweden, you must notify the Swedish Tax Agency. To do this, you need to visit a Swedish state service centre. All of your family members who have moved to Sweden must visit a service centre. You need to bring certain documents with you to the service centre. The requirements vary depending on your citizenship and other circumstances.

Please choose the option that best applies to you:

How to prepare for your visit

To ensure that your visit to a Swedish state service centre goes as quickly and smoothly as possible, we recommend using their “Moving to Sweden” e-service beforehand. This applies whether you are moving to Sweden alone or with a partner and/or children. The e-service is a digital notification available in several languages: English, Arabic, Dari, Pashto and Swedish.

During the notification process, the e-service will suggest which documents you should bring with you to a service centre. Please note that the Swedish Tax Agency may request additional information and documents. Once you have completed all the steps in the e-service, please print out your notification and bring it with you to a service centre along with the other required documents.

You can log into the e-service if you have Swedish e-identification from an eIDAS-registered provider. When you are logged in, you can save a draft of your notification and continue it at a later date.

Use Skatteverket’s e-service

Prepare for your visit to the service centre by using their “Moving to Sweden” (Flytta till Sverige) service beforehand. Move to Sweden

According to Swedish law, all parents or guardians of children under the age of 18 must jointly notify the Swedish Tax Agency if a child is moving to Sweden. If one parent or guardian is abroad, he or she must provide written consent to the child’s move to Sweden. However, children over the age of 16 are permitted to notify us themselves.

State service center

When you have completed the notification process

Skatteverket will get in touch with you as soon as they have processed your notification. Please make sure your name is visible on your front door and post box to ensure that your mail can be delivered. The same applies if you are staying with someone else or subletting a property.

Do you receive income from another country?

When you move to Sweden and register as resident here, you may be liable to pay Swedish income tax on your income from abroad. Please contact the Swedish Tax Agency if you receive any income from abroad.

Moving to Sweden to work

The Swedish Government’s website “Flytta” (“Moving”) provides guidelines for people who are planning to move to Sweden to work. You can create your own personal guide by answering a few questions. This will outline what you need to do – from first receiving your employment contract to living and working in Sweden.

Related content

Unfortunately, there are no related guides at the moment.